Everyone wants to look special on their wedding day – the groom included – but with all the costs of paying for your venue, food, outfits and flowers, finding the cash to get your teeth whitened isn’t always an option.
Especially if you plan to go to your dentist. Teeth whitening at your dentist costs on average £400 – more than you can afford.
So what can you do?
The last thing you want is to look back on your wedding photos and see yellow, discoloured teeth.
Learn how to whiten your teeth naturally
Your dentist isn’t your only route to whiter teeth. In fact there are a number of natural alternatives which can help to lighten your teeth and remove staining.
- Strawberries – this fruit contains healthy acids which can help to remove spots and staining. Simply cut one in half and rub the inside of the strawberry over your teeth, before rinsing and brushing and strawberries can help to gently whiten your teeth.
Alternatively you can try rubbing these onto your teeth: hard wood ash (a natural teeth whitener it contains potassium hydroxide); orange peel or lemon juice and salt (blend in equal amounts)
- Eliminate common causes of teeth staining – coffee, wine, smoking, sugary foods… are all common causes of staining which over time can make your teeth look discoloured. To help reduce staining on your teeth try to limit if not eliminate these from your day to day diet, as well as brush regularly to stop them from staining your teeth.
- Adopt good dental hygiene – it is surprising how many of us don’t brush our teeth twice a day let alone floss. However good dental hygiene can help to remove stains and the build up of bacteria and food particles which can cause plaque. So aim to brush your teeth at least 2 times a day for 3 minutes and floss in the evening.
Taking care of your teeth is certainly a good starting point for helping to improve the health and appearance of your teeth. However if you are looking for a significant difference to the appearance of your teeth on your wedding day, then any of the following can offer an affordable route to whitening your teeth.
- Home teeth whitening kits – using the exact same gel used by dentists, teeth whitening kits contain 120ml/cc of 16% Carbamide Peroxide which has been proven to: enter the pores on your teeth, create active oxygen that converts coloured compounds into colourless compounds and whiten your teeth by up to 11 shades in 2 weeks.
And available for less than £40, teeth whitening kits are nearly 10 times cheaper than going to your dentist.
- Teeth whitening strips – weaker in concentration compared to teeth whitening gels, these strips are applied directly to your teeth for a few hours a day and can help to whiten your teeth. Just be careful when applying, otherwise your teeth may end up looking streaky. Usual cost: £45-£70
- Teeth whitening pens – unlike the previous 2 products, you control how much you apply as you rub the teeth whitening pen onto each tooth. Once again be careful when applying to not put more on one tooth than another. Start in price from £14.99.
Achieving a whiter smile for your wedding day is possible, and doesn’t have to be costly. So if you are looking to brighten your smile, why not give the above tips a try and ensure you look radiant on your big day.
Thank you for reading, my name is Tracey and I work as a dental nurse in the day but at night I write about how to whiten teethwithout spending a fortune at the dentist. (Just don’t tell my boss!)